- Helps protect against heart disease
- Enhances immune system
- May increase energy levels, libido and memory
- Protects against the effects of stress
DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is produced primarily in the adrenal glands from the steroid precursor pregnenolone.
DHEA is the main precursor for oestradiol and testosterone. The body quickly converts DHEA to DHEA-Sulphate (DHEA-S).
DHEA-S is a weaker androgen than testosterone. Various diseases such as osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, AIDS, autoimmune disease (e.g. Lupus), Alzheimer’s disease, breast cancer, thyroid disease and diabetes have been associated with low circulating DHEA-S levels. DHEA-S levels also decline with age in both sexes.
After the practitioner has provided a request form, the patient can order their DHEA-S test kit online at befunctional.com.au/store. Each test kit contains full instructions.
Saliva Samples - Home Testing Kit
The test kits provided contain everything required to complete the test.
Patients are required to hand deliver samples to an Australian Clinical Labs Collection Centre.
- Avoid alcohol 12 hours prior to collection
- Do not brush teeth or apply make-up/lipstick prior to saliva collection
- It is recommended that the patient fast for one hour. No smoking, food or drink (except water) before collecting saliva samples
- If the patient is using hormone creams, wait 12 hours after the last dose before collecting saliva
- If the patient uses a troche (a small lozenge placed in the mouth), wait 3 days after the last dose before collecting saliva
Standard turnaround time is 10-14 business days.
Additional $20.00 postage & handling fee applies to this test.
Prepayment is required when ordering test kit.