Oestrogens are a group of multiple hormones including E1, E2 and E3. In women, oestrogens are secreted directly by the ovaries or made in adipose cells by conversion from DHEA-S and testosterone. In men, oestrogen hormones are made to a lesser extent in the testes.
The pattern of circulating oestrogens in the human body is:
Oestrone (E1) 10-20%
Oestradiol (E2) 10-20%
Oestriol (E3) 60-80%
- Readily converts to E1
- Promotes the growth of endometrial and breast tissue
- Responsible for development of secondary sex characteristics
- Increases fat stores
- Required for maturation of long bones
- Improves memory
- Relieves menopausal symptoms
- Protection against heart disease
Oestradiol (E2) is the most potent of the three oestrogens. E2 is produced mainly by the ovaries, with secondary production by the adrenal glands. During the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle E2 levels remain nearly constant before the luteinising hormone (LH) surge, where levels of E2 peak as ovulation occurs. Following ovulation, E2 levels fall, followed by a second rise which corresponds with the formation of the corpus luteum.
At menopause, E2 levels decrease. This is often accompanied by vascular instability (hot flushes and night sweats).
After the practitioner has provided a request form, the patient can order their salivary hormone test kit online at befunctional.com.au/store. Each test kit contains full instructions.
Saliva Samples - Home Testing Kit
The test kits provided contain everything required to complete the test
Patients are required to hand deliver samples to an Australian Clinical Labs Collection Centre.
- Avoid alcohol 12 hours prior to collection
- Do not brush teeth or apply make-up/lipstick prior to saliva collection
- It is recommended that the patient fast for one hour. No smoking, food or drink (except water) before collecting saliva samples
- If the patient is using hormone creams, wait 12 hours after last dose before collecting saliva
- If the patient uses a troche (a lozenge placed in the mouth), wait 3 days after the last dose before collecting saliva
The standard turnaround time for this test is 10 - 14 business days.
Additional $20.00 postage & handling fee applies to this test.
Prepayment is required when order test kit.
Results are delivered to the referring practitioner via electronic download unless requested otherwise. Results can also be issued via hardcopy, fax or web based e-viewer.