- Builds muscle and promotes muscle tone
- Increases libido
- Helps strengthen bones
- Reduces depression
- Protects against heart disease
Testosterone (TT) is produced mainly by the testes in men, the ovaries in women and the adrenal glands in both sexes. Testosterone is synthesised from androstenedione, a metabolite of DHEA and progesterone.
Throughout most of the reproductive years, approximately 10-20 times more testosterone is produced in men than in women. At puberty males have much higher levels of testosterone, which is responsible for the development of male external genitalia and secondary hair patterns, stimulation of spermatogenesis and stimulation of anabolic activity leading to increased muscle mass and behavioural changes. In pubescent females, testosterone effects are more subtle but equally important for proper musculo-skeletal development, general anabolic activity and libido. In both sexes testosterone increases protein synthesis. Testosterone decreases with age in both men and women.
After the practitioner has provided a request form, the patient can order their salivary hormone test kit online at befunctional.com.au/store. Each test kit contains full instructions.
Saliva Samples - Home Testing Kit
The test kits provided contain everything required to complete the test.
Patients are required to hand deliver samples to an Australian Clinical Labs Collection Centre.
- Avoid alcohol 12 hours prior to collection
- Do not brush teeth or apply make-up/lipstick prior to saliva collection
- It is recommended that the patient fast for one hour. No smoking, food or drink (except water) before collecting saliva samples
- If the patient is using hormone creams, wait 12 hours after the last dose before collecting saliva
- If the patient uses a troche (a lozenge placed in the mouth), wait 3 days after the last dose before collecting saliva
The standard turnaround time for this test is 10 - 14 business days.
Additional $20.00 postage & handling fee applies to this test.
Prepayment is required when ordering test kit.