- Assists in stress response and coping with trauma, infection and environmental extremes
- Increases energy and metabolism
- Helps regulate blood pressure
- Enhances the integrity of blood vessels
- Reduces allergic and inflammatory response
Cortisol is the most potent glucocorticoid produced by the human adrenal glands. It is produced from cholesterol and its production is stimulated by pituitary adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) which is regulated by corticotrophin releasing factor (CRF). Cortisol affects numerous physiological systems including immune function, glucose counter-regulation, vascular tone and bone metabolism. Cortisol is also involved in the response to stressors and is essential for carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism.
Cortisol production has a diurnal rhythm, where levels peak in the early morning and drop to the lowest concentration at night. It is therefore important to measure multiple saliva specimens collected throughout the day.
After the practitioner has provided a request form, the patient can order their Cortisol test kit online at befunctional.com.au/store
Saliva Samples - Home Testing Kit
The test kits provided contain everything required to complete the test.
Patients are required to hand deliver samples to an Australian Clinical Labs Collection Centre.
- Patient must avoid alcohol for 12 hours prior to collection.
- Patient must not brush their teeth or apply makeup/lipstick prior to saliva collection.
- Patient must avoid all food and drink (except water) 30 minutes prior to collection.
- If the patient is using hormone creams, wait 12 hours after the last dose before collecting saliva.
- If the patient uses a troche (a small lozenge placed in the mouth), wait 3 days after the last dose before collecting saliva.
Standard turnaround time is 10-14 business days.
Additional $20.00 postage & handling fee applies to this test.
Prepayment is required when ordering test kit.
Results are delivered to the referring practitioner via electronic download unless requested otherwise. Results can also be issued via hardcopy, fax or web based e-viewer.