Oestrogens are a group of multiple hormones including E1, E2 and E3. In women, oestrogens are secreted directly by the ovaries or made in adipose cells by conversion from DHEA-S and testosterone. In men, oestrogen hormones are made to a lesser extent in the testes.
The pattern of circulating oestrogens in the human body is:
Oestrone (E1) 10-20%
Oestradiol (E2) 10-20%
Oestriol (E3) 60-80%
- Produced almost exclusively during pregnancy
- Topically may relieve postmenopausal vaginal atrophy and urinary incontinence
- E2 is less potent than E1 and E2
After the practitioner has provided a request form, the patient can order their salivary hormone test kit online at befunctional.com.au/store. Each test kit contains full instructions.
Saliva Samples - Home Testing Kit
The test kits provided contain everything required to complete the test.
Patients are required to hand deliver samples to an Australian Clinical Labs Collection Centre.
- Avoid alcohol 12 hours prior to collection
- Do not brush teeth or apply make-up/lipstick prior to saliva collection
- It is recommended that the patient fast for one hour. No smoking, food or drink (except water) before collecting saliva samples
- If the patient is using hormone creams, wait 12 hours after the last dose before collecting saliva
- If the patient uses a troche (a lozenge placed in the mouth), wait 3 days after the last dose before collecting saliva
The standard turnaround time for this test is 10 - 14 business days.
Additional $20.00 postage & handling fee applies to this test.
Prepayment is required when ordering test kit.